Name: Galerie des Glaces (Hall of Mirrors) at Versailles
Artist's Name: designed by Jules Hardouin-Mansart and Charles Le Brun
Date: ca. 1680
Period: French Baroque
Purpose: Overlooks the park from the second floor and extends alomg most of the width of the central block.
When Louis XIV gathered together a veritable army of architects, decorators, sculptors, painters and landscape architects to convert a royal hunting lodge into a palace, it because the greatest architectural project of the age. The Galerie des Glaces is probably the most famous of the richly decorated rooms and halls at Versailes. Its original furniture, including gold and silver chairs and bejeweled trees, has been removed but the halls splendor is retained by the hundreds of mirrors set into the wall opposite the windows, which gives the room an expansive quality.
click for larger image