Friday, January 2, 2009

2009

Happy New Year! I know I haven't posted in a while and this won't be a long visit, but I've got lots in store for the coming year. With a couple new baking/cookbooks, a few new soapcrafting books, and several new crochet books, plus a new sewing machine, video games, art history and American history books (and a themed discussion group), and a whole new exciting semester ahead of me (including a creative writing class), I will have much to say. Plus, I have a plan for slow posting times so that there aren't periods of stagnation but we'll talk about that later.

Anyway, at dinner tonight Aunt Jean told us about the "flavor trends" for 2009. Some of the flavors I'm already pretty familiar with but I think I will try to incorporate them more (chimichurri and masala in particular) and try out the ones I don't know. The trends are:

1. Persimmon
2. Lavender
3. Cactus
4. Starfruit
5. Chimichurri
6. Masala
7. Peri-peri

I already have Aleppo peppers on a list of things to try and between that, the Peri-peri and the Masala, I guess we'll be having lots of spicy foods!

Some of my family and I have decided that 2009 will be American History Year and that we will all read books on that general topic and discuss them through our email group. My first book is San Francisco is Burning: The Untold Story of the 1906 Earthquake and Fires by Dennis Smith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want to read that book when you are done. What a strange day that must have been when half the town fell down in the morning and then it all started to burn before they could figure out what had actually happened. As they started to realize that there was no water and no way to fight the fire and everyone had to just walk away ahead of the flames they must have felt so helpless and unreal.

dirigible said...

I was planning on bringing it to you next time we come back home because I figured you'd be interested. It is so very strange to read and imagine yourself in the position these people were in. It's awfully scary because something like this happens and you turn to the police and the fire department and the hospitals...but so does everyone else and everyone is overwhelmed. And then I try to think "well, this could never happen nowadays" but then I think "...well, Katrina." It's pretty unnerving.