Sunday, March 30, 2008

Summer Fun

PEP is gearing up for the second Wanderlust Bike Tour, launching at the end of May. It's a five week, 1,600 mile bike tour from New Orleans to New York City with several stops along the way to hold seminars on sex education and raise awareness about reproductive health. I would love, love, LOVE to join in on something like this but, unfortunately, I have to take classes this summer, not to mention the fact that I'm not exactly in peak condition for a bike tour. Hopefully, there will be another ride next year that I can be part of. I think it would be so much fun and it's such great work. For now, I will try to get up to Gainesville for the Southern Girls Convention in July.

There's a big debate going on over at Feministe about the newest Vogue cover with LeBron James and Giselle Bundchen. The posts (here and here) discuss how the photo could be seen as racist, with this comparison:



I have a hard time believing that something like that could get past all of the people a Vogue cover needs to go through (art director, photographer, editor, layout designer, publisher) without someone having said, "Hey...you know....maybe...". It's an Annie Leibovitz image and if anyone should know how much a simple photograph can imply, it's her. When you're that famous of an artiste, can you just get away with stuff like that?

No comments: